The DHMRI is a non-profit service provider offering a multi-omics approach to both academic and commercial clients interested in the biology associated with human health, nutrition and agriculture and is located on the North Carolina Research Campus in Kannapolis, NC.
The DHMRI is seeking a motivated candidate to fill the Group Leader position in our Genomics Group. The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for managing personnel, projects, and instrumentation in a state-of-the-art equipped genomics laboratory including the Ilumina NovaSeq 6000, PacBio Sequel IIe, and 10x Genomics platforms. In addition, as the Genomics Laboratory Group Leader, you will be expected to contribute to the development and maintenance of collaborations the DHMRI has with the academic, industry and government partners on the North Carolina Research Campus (NCRC) and beyond. These collaborations will reflect the NCRC’s focus on human health, nutrition and agriculture and will include study design, data generation and QC analysis using next generation sequencing and microarray-based approaches for whole genome, exome and targeted sequencing, methylation profiling and gene expression analysis both at the bulk and single cell levels. The successful candidate will manage all aspects of the projects, from shipment and receipt of samples to data delivery, ensuring that projects are completed on time and within budget. As the Group Leader, you will develop standard operating procedures within a controlled document environment, conduct quality control assays, and monitor process control. The position will report to the Chief Scientific Officer.
The DHMRI is a non-profit service provider offering a multi-omics approach to both academic and commercial clients interested in the biology associated with human health, nutrition and agriculture and is located at the North Carolina Research Campus in Kannapolis, NC.
- Assisting Principal Investigators with project design, execution, and interpretation
- Communicating ongoing project progress and acting as the key interface to scientific customers
- Performing method design as required
- Effectively managing customer projects including allocating appropriate resources, facilitating the transfer of materials and data, monitoring the progress of projects, and reporting their status to customers, and closing out projects by invoicing for services rendered
- Serving in a financial management role by providing justification for requisitions, working with vendors to obtain optimal pricing, determining and adjusting service fees
- Supervising, training and directing the day-to-day activities of research staff
- Developing and maintaining Standard Operating Procedures
- Troubleshooting problems associated with equipment, software, experimental design, assays and reagents, and deviations from protocols and SOPs
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of LIMS and other laboratory-related computer programs
- Keeping abreast of scientific advances and new technologies and how they may be introduced into the facility
- PhD Scientist with ≥ 5 years’ experience in a field related to genetics or genomics
- Expertise in Next Gen sequencing applications including those from Illumina, Pacific BioSciences and 10X Genomics
- Expertise in library construction and optimization of experiments performed on NGS platforms
- Demonstrated project management experience
- Excellent skills in experimental design, implementation, troubleshooting, and data QC analysis
- Experience managing large datasets and interacting with databases and software tools
- Pipeline and basic application bioinformatics knowledge and experience a plus
- Experience supervising technical and scientific staff
- Detail-oriented and organized, with strong initiative and sense of ownership when driving projects to completion
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in plant/crop biology a plus
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.